7 Essentials Tips From Professional Photographer That I Applied On My Photography

8:26 PM

Im not a professional photographer, yet 😏 tehee. But I have joined at least 3 photography workshops enough to expose myself with other professional photographer who generously willing to share some tips in improving my photography quality. I thank you all for this.

It was actually a big investment of money and time both in practicing and applying this stuff, but the best investment people said were when you invest on the things you love the most. Beside blogging, I love photography. ^^



I even sometimes help them in field where I can practice myself using their tips that turn out to be quite handy especially in completing my daily photography task. Please forgive me for my noobiness - but experience can thought you well even if its bitter, and they were too - a very wise teacher. 

I hope this will benefits you as much as it benefits to me, tho actually I may leaked my biggest secret here, haha. And uh, all the pictures was taken by me and I've mentioned which one is SOOC. 

1. Practice On Field Perfection
Since I've got the chance to participate on Ayul Rahman photography workshop, he told us (the participants) to at least makes the picture you snap close to perfection on spot while in field.

Using the right dslr setting were the key, the white balance, the aperture, the shutter speed and the ISO, all need to be at least have been set right while in field. It required a lot of practice I admit. 

Well, the very reason professional photographer kept this on their mind because no one can change that exact moment they snapped on field, not even the photographer themselves, they need to be alert the picture they snapped, not only the basic setting but also how the subject pose, their surrounding and basically what will the subject look like within the frame. 

Sure that we have photo editing tools, but even the tools have limitation in changing the photography. :)
2. Practice Good Composition by Applying The Grid Rules (Rules of Third)
I think the biggest question here is where to put your subject to attract your audience focus. Notice that grid line appears on your screen when you take picture on your camera? Placing your subject mostly advice on the lines or the intersection to make a great composition. It works most of the time actually.

Eliminate the unwanted things, and shows to your audience only what needed to be shown. I usually take an extra spaces around the frame border before cropping into 1:1 ratio, just to get correct amount of subject in the frame.
Shot by Sony A6000 | 2.2F 50mm | 1/60s  | 1000 ISO (quite high due to cloudy weather) 
  

3. Straightening What Actually Straight
As an armature I like to snap picture a bit rotating the camera for the purpose of creative angle. Lols. But I've been advised to not do so. Surely it do have some creative angle but, most of the time it makes your audience dizzy by need to tilting their head a lil but to realize how actually the photo will be.

If you realize the right picture lose some of its border frame while crop straight the image.
(SOOC) Shot by Sony A6000 | 3.5F 17mm | 1/200s  | 100 ISO 

Shot picture a lil bit more wide so when you realize it's not straight you can always straightening it on editing tools without loss too many details and always stay on the lines.  


4. Control Bokeh Effect Depends On What You Want Your Audience Need To Focus
Most of professional photographer use focal length range from 2.0f~2.2f even when they have 1.8f lenses when it comes to capture details. I do also have some doubt regarding this, why do they increase their aperture amount when actually using the least aperture amount the bokeh effect will more bokehlicious?

(SOOC) 1.8F, 1/60s, 1000ISO vs 2.2F, 1/60s, 1000ISO
The least the aperture the more light will enter the frame and also the more blurred its surrounding. Notice that if using 2.2F the 'S' were more visible on the right compared to the left pictures. This were just for example purpose. 
Well little that I know the purpose was to preserve details without blurring all of it. The kind of exposure details only with the correct amount of bokeh to entertain the human eyes. The least the aperture used, the more blurred the surrounding of of the focus spot will be. 

5. Available Light Were Highly Recommended
I loveee available light, its the natural way to smoothen your photography. I usually shot my picture early morning & before sunset (golden moment). At that time the light somewhat so light, so puffy and lighten so that I have the perfect light exposure to my photo.

Otherwise of course, your speed light will be the alternative, me most of the time used available light only. (P/s, the source of light at night also available light.) 

I captured this while my room was completely dark, and the light string was the only source of light. Captured with correct amount of ISO, and low shutter speed, need to completely stand still so I wont blurred the picture. Highly recommend Sony for not showing noise so much. Hehe.
Shot by Sony A6000 | 2F 50mm | 1/20s  | 1000 ISO
I also do love taking picture outdoor because when time is correct I'll get plentiful of good shade on my subject without need to worry about getting the proper light.

6. Taking Your Picture Slightly Underexposed or Slightly Overexposed to Preserve Details
There are two types of photographer, those who take underexposed vs those who take overexposed. I am the one who like to take my picture slight underexposed, so I can preserve more shadow and dealing with brightness later on. I am a shadow obsessor, I love how shadow can actually popping out the details especially in bright texture. 

Before/after : I cropped 1:1 the photo, lifting it brightness a bit, adding more shadows, and lifting a lil bit contrast for the color. Shot by Sony A6000 | 2.2F 50mm | 1/60s  | 640 ISO


7.  Be intimate to details
If you are going take details, be it intimate as possible, cherish the moment, cherish the light, embrace the shadow, working with shadow. Get your eyes comfortable with the things that none other have realize, just get deeper and enjoy the moment of realize something that other havent. :D

Sometimes you dont have the correct amount of light, the least you can do was to make sure your composition is right.
before/after : cropped 1:1, lifting a lil bit too much of brightness, ambience & highlight. < I do this to get the right color of white. I love white, who doesnt? Lols.  Actually this procedure was not recommend cause the output gonna be so much grains than before. Shot by Sony A6000 | 2F 50mm | 1/50s  | 200 ISO


The best advice I ever had is to construct my own photography style, to not be afraid of failure. Rules sometimes made to be broken and we dont need to follow anyone to achieve the same things in the end. They may have be their own way but there were also thousands more ways to get the same output. Every person got their own essence, that essence whether we put in writing or in photography, the same essence that when someone stumble upon your pieces they'll know it was made by you.

Those were my 7 + 1 essential tips, which of course not to be followed 100%. I highly recommend others to develop their own style and creativity.

Please comment below what do you think of those tips above? 😁 








You Might Also Like

0 Comments